Tuesday 26 August 2014

Canada Day 11. CN Tower

So, I managed to get to the bus stop in time (although I gave up attempting to drag my suitcase and caught a taxi which isn't ideal..) and started my 6hr drive back to Toronto!
 Luckily the bus actually drove down the road with my hostel so I realised it was actually a bit too far to drag my suitcase (which was the plan) especially as there was a street market/fair going on! So I had to catch a taxi again, which my arms were glad about since they didn't have to lug my stuff but my wallet would have preferred the walk :p
 When I got to the hostel itself (which is student accommodation that's rented out during the summer) they'd made a mistake and put me down for staying the night before - so I'd been charged despite not spending the night there! And all the female dorms were fully booked.
So they asked if I minded staying in a mixed dorm and they'd refund me the extra (which was like $3). But I'd actually just overheard another lady saying they still had a few single rooms full.. So I said I didn't really want a mixed room if possible (I was very polite about it) and they said that was no trouble and upgraded me to a single room all to myself! 

Its weird how having a room all to yourself becomes such a novelty! I unpacked everything and got dressed in the room and just pottered about without worrying about bothering anyone else!
 After embracing the solitude of my own room I set out hunting down the nights activities! And I ended up walking through the street fair which was really nice but completely packed!
 So packed intact that it was kinda annoying - people just didn't move!
 But I eventually got the target in sight!
 I've heard this a few times but there's a phrase that Canada only has two seasons, winter and construction! And that certainly seems to be true the more I see of Canada! 
 After many a detour I eventually found my way to the CN Tower! I'd saved it for my last night in Canada and I was planning to time it with the sunset so I could see the city during the day and evening
 From queuing up to get the ticket to actually getting up the the platform it took an hour… which isn't as bad as it could have been but still - an hour! I also got pulled aside for drug and explosive testing, I don't know why I'm surprised I always, always, get pulled aside! I obviously look suspicious!
Anyway, I think I timed it pretty well! 
 The view was lovely as since the tower is by far the tallest building in Toronto the view over the rooftops is unparalleled. 
 the fact Toronto itself and the surrounding area is so flat also helps to give the impression your looking right to the horizon!
 After spending a little time on the upper observation deck (which is all enclosed with glass windows) I headed down to the glass floor
 because it's just one of those things you have to do before you leave the tower!
 From here i ventured outside to the 'open' section where it very windy!
 I managed to get a photo where it wasn't 'too' windy!
 looking down at the great view (also they let you sit down if you were waiting for the sunset which they don't let you do at the empire state building)
 This was by far the windiest direction but the view was amazing as the sun set and the lights appeared
 I just love how cities look at night!
 And after pottering about at the top for a while I headed back to my room. I cut through the festival and because it was a little quieter (still pretty busy though) I bought myself a 'funnel cake' since I've wanted to try one for a while. It wasn't what I was expecting, and it was massive, and it was also covered in a layer of icing sugar which meant I ended up with dusted with icing sugar all along my front.. definitely a classy look!
I can't believe I'm leaving canada tomorrow! Luckily I still have a little more time since I get most of tomorrow here in Toronto but my time here truly has flown by!

No comments:

Post a Comment